FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India which is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and the Food Safety & Standards Act of 2006. It ensures the hygiene and safety standards to be maintained in the food business so that people get hygienic & quality food.
Regulation is done on manufacturing, storage, distribution, sale & import of food items to ensure safe and wholesome food
Why FSSAI registration is necessary for restaurants or food outlets?
- As the standard of living of the people has improved, people have started eating out as result number of the restaurant have also mushroomed in the recent years, hence, most of the customers want to have good quality food which has been certified for safe consumption. The credibility of the restaurant business increases due to the FSSAI logo on menu and pamphlets
- The standard of the restaurant business operations improves when the restaurant has FSSAI license. FSSAI license is also issued only to those restaurants which meet the specification, hence the standardization in the kitchen and back end spaces needs to be achieved by the FSSAI guidelines.
- Every food package must have a label containing the logo of the FSSAI & the license number
Who requires an FSSAI registration certificate?
- Food chains
- Food sellers & resellers
- Dairy & dairy processing
- Food importers & exporters
- Pickle & Dry fruit processors
- Raw material suppliers to food business
- Grocery Retailers
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals and government institutions
- Packaged food manufacturers
What are the benefits of Acquiring FSSAI license?
- FSSAI Logo is widely popular and creates goodwill among customers
- The processes involved from manufacturing to distribution to sale of the food products get streamlined
- Holding a valid FSSAI license, helps the business to become better and enhance their credibility
- The quality of the food products is maintained as per international standards
- FSSAI license positively influence the expansion & growth of the business
- To export food products it is necessary to have FSSAI license
- Science-based principles are used while manufacturing food items
- Time to time regulation of the hygiene and cleanliness takes place
- The onus is on FSSAI to set guidelines & procedures for quality assurance of the accredited labs as per ISO 17025.
What is the Difference between FSSAI Registration & FSSAI License?
As per the Food Safety and Standards Regulation, 2011, all food operator must have either the FSSAI license or FSSAI registration, if they are involved in the sale, distribution, transportation, storage, and manufacturing of the food products. The basic difference between the FSSAI license and the FSSAI registration is based on the size and nature of the FBO.